It is known among us Bendites that we have one of the highest per capita dog populations anywhere in the world with 49% of Central Oregon residents owning a dog!! Did you know “Dog Fancy” magazine claimed Bend as DogTown USA in 2012 and runner up in 2011?? With over 40 restaurants ready to accommodate you and your best friend for a dining date on their patios, a number of dog friendly businesses, local dog friendly events, over 51 miles of urban trails in town and 13 off-leash areas in city parks and National Forests…
Bend is literally a dog’s paradise!
Here are some of our favorite things to do with our furry friends.
Want to take your dog for an adventurous walk?
Bend Metro Park & Recreation District has a wonderful trail system with both the Shevlin Park Loop and the Deschutes River Trail that have paths that wind along the river with plenty of places for your dog to cool off in the water.
If your dog likes the fun of playing in sprinklers, Bend Metro Park & Recreation dedicated a 14
acre dog park at Bob Wenger Memorial Off-Leash Area in NE Bend.
Here are a few of our favorite off leash parks!
- Big Sky (21690 Neff Rd) 12 acres, fenced and unfenced areas.
- Discovery Park (1315 NW Discovery Park Drive) 1.6 acres, fenced.
- Riverbend Park (799 SW Columbia St) 1.1 acres, fenced with river access and small dog area.
- Ponderosa Park (225 SE 15th St) 2.9 acres, fenced with Small dog area.
- Hollinshead Park (1235 NE Jones Rd) 3.7 acres, unfenced.
- Overturf Butte Reservoir (Skyliner Summit Loop) 4.6 acres, fenced.
- Awbrey Reservoir (NW 10th and Trenton) 5 acres, unfenced.Note: acreage is approximate
For a complete map of all our wonderful off leash parks, see BPRD’s Off Leash Dog Park Map
Want to share a beer with your dog?? Here are a handful of breweries with dog friendly patios!
- 10 Barrel located at 1135 NW Galveston, Bldg. A, Bend, OR 97703
- Cascade Lakes Brewing Co. located at 1441 SW Chandler Ave, Bend, OR 97702
- GoodLife Brewing located at 70 SW Century Drive, #100-464, Bend, OR 97702
- Crux Fermentation Project located at 50 SW Division St, Bend, OR 97702
- McMenamins Old St. Francis located at 700 NW Bond St, Bend, OR 97703
What other activities can your dog do with you??
Want to take them canoeing or kayaking at one of our many lakes or rivers? Stop by Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe to get both of you outfitted. We love our pets so much in Bend, dating back to the 1920’s, we have had a parade honoring them every year on the 4th of July at our Bend Pet Parade and don’t forget our annual wiener dog races during Bend’s Oktoberfest.
During our cold winter months, there are still many ways to keep them active outside. Wanoga Edison and Kapka Sno-Park both have dog-friendly cross country ski and snowshoe trails. The 2 ½ mile stretch of dirt road up to Tumalo Falls after the bridge, on Skyliners Road, is left unplowed during winter months and dogs are welcome to wander right along side you on the trails.
Just visiting?? Here are a few of our pet friendly hotels:
- TOWNEPLACE SUITES BY MARRIOTT
- Phone: 541.382.5006
- Address: 755 SW 13th Place, Bend, OR 97702
- PINE RIDGE INN HOTEL & SUITES
- Phone: 541.389.6137
- Address: 1200 SW Century Dr, Bend, OR 97702
- THE OXFORD HOTEL
- Phone: 541.382.8436
- Address: 10 NW Minnesota Ave, Bend, OR 97703
Whether you are a local or a visitor, Bend has everything a dog owner could ever ask for.